Features is a drupal contrib module enables the capture and management of features in Drupal, by providing a UI and API for taking different site building components from modules with exportables and bundling them together in a single feature module. A feature created by the 'Features module' can be checked, updated, or reverted programmatically.
In Drupal 7, Strongarm module allows to export/import/edit drupal variables. In Drupal 8, It is included with core modules.
Organize your Features
Also visit : Organize the Features on Drupal
Detailing structure (Example)
#Create a feature per block or a blocks group, Ex:
#Create a feature per content type
#Do not add field base, field group and field instance to the content type feature
#Preferancely, Create one feature per menu or one per group of menu if they contains just 2/3... itmes. Do not add other settings
- permissions/ (and roles)
#You can create one feature for all permissions or split as you want
#You can create one feature for all roles or split as you want
#Group all your settings by catagory, Ex:
- site_fs_ckeditor/ #With ckeditor frofiles, settings ...
- site_fs_dependencies/ #dependencies: Modules and also features
- site_fs_field_base/ #Basic fields settings
- site_fs_lang_fr/ #Language settings Ex : French
- site_fs_site_settings/#Other settings of the site
- site_fs_user/ #User settings
- site_fs_worklow/ #Other modules settings Ex: Workflow ...
- site_fs_linkit_prof/ #Linkit Profiles
- site_fs_pathauto/ #Pathauto settings
#Preferancely, Create one feature per vocabulary but you can arrange as you want.
- site_fs_taxo_all ...
#Create one feature per view, do not include any other settings the views
- site_fs_view2 ...